Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mosquitoes

Diablo: Honestly, I did not realize she was being eaten alive by mosquitoes. I guess I was just absorbed in the moment—eating grass, rolling in the dirt and stalking that skinny-ass squirrel. One would think inside a campground there would be plenty of campers’ trash and picnic tables to raid that these squirrels could put a few extra ounces on their bones.

Phoenix: I don’t know how you can even think about going outside in this heat.

Diablo: It wasn’t my idea. Valerie cuffed me in that harness and leash. She opened the door and invited me out. I thought it was my duty to scout around the RV. You know. Make sure everything was all right. I checked the underside of The Rig. Found the dirt underneath was cool. Good for a roll.

Phoenix: I’m still recovering from that horrible excursion over the mountains in Vermont. I swear we were not going to make it up that first one. I thought I saw a bicycle rider pass us on the right side. His legs were spinning faster than we were moving. The RV was chugging.

Diablo: Yeah and did you see her calmly pull over when the engine light came on?

Phoenix: Calmly?

Diablo: Well, she ate a fruit cocktail as if nothing was wrong. Then jumped back in the cab and took off.

Phoenix: Too scared to pop the hood.

Diablo: You were looking a little green by the time we hit New Hampshire.

Phoenix: You know the state’s motto? Live Free of Die. Traveling in this RV is not living free and I felt like dying. I was exhausted after doing my best to convince Valerie to turn around and call this whole thing off.

Diablo: You have a loud meow.

Phoenix: Someone has to ask, “What are we doing here?”

Diablo: One day at a time my friend. It’s cool in the camper. The sleeping bag is fluffy and I’m tired. We are all tired. Tomorrow, we get to see Gloucester. Oldest seaport in America. I can smell the salt air, the sticky heavy air of the ocean…

Phoenix: Like you are ever going to walk on the beach. I’m going to see if I can bust that cabinet’s sliding door. There is food in there.

No comments: