Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Sick Kitty

Diablo: What’s wrong?

Phoenix: Kidneys, apparently.

Diablo: Shit

Phoenix: No, piss.

Diablo: Serious?

Phoenix: Pretty much. Kidneys are having a hard time cleaning up the protein residue. I have an infection. Awful thirsty, food tastes like crap…

Diablo: Ooooh, that is serious. But aren’t you kind of young to have kidney trouble.

Phoenix:
The Vet had a hard time believing I am only eight. Kidney failure happens much later for us felines. Now I have to eat a special diet. You eat D/D. I eat K/D.

Diablo: D/D is for dander disease and K/D is for kidney disease?

Phoenix: Something like that.

Diablo: You know she’ll take good care of you.

Phoenix: A pill jammed down my throat twice a day ain’t much fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Sorry Phoenix has kidney disease and I hope she is doing much better. Just thought I'd mention my cat, Chloe, was diagnosed at 8 with CRF and seems quite stable now (knock-on-wood). Sub-Q fluids 1 -2 times/week and pill twice a day (a challenge!). She seems to get along just great and I wish this for Phoenix too.

Pam in Seattle

Valerie Perez said...

Pam, I'm glad to hear from you and good to know Chloe is doing fine. Phoenix is feeling better, but as you know kidney failure is "not fixable". Going to the vet tomorrow to learn how to give the fluids as she will need them on the trip back home. Neither cat drinks while in the car, which is good as I'll never have to worrry about DWI.