Monday, January 04, 2010

Escape

I bid a teary good-bye to Phoenix. After all, we’ve been buds for ten years. Now, I am on the loose. You know, grass is greener on the other side. Except it is January in upstate New York. The only thing green is the hemlocks and even the deer don’t mess with them.

The Old Man went to burn papers this afternoon and left the cellar door ajar. I wedged myself between the door and the jamb and the next thing I knew I was smelling the sweet wafts of winter in the North Country. Yesterday, a fresh snow fell so the landscape sat pretty pristine. Minus all those deer tracks.

Spent my first hours of freedom hunkered down beneath the backyard shrubbery. Two reason for this. There is no snow under there and the birds like landing on the branches after they gather the sunflower seeds from the birdfeeder. They never knew I was there and I nabbed one unsuspecting twitter. What a ball of feathers. These chickadees look fat, but they are so puffed up with air, they are hardly worth all the effort to catch. I had not eaten since breakfast, so I woofed down the whole thing, except for the feet. I didn’t think they would digest very well. My tummy is use to Science Diet DD. From now on the only science about my diet is what I can catch, pillage or beg.

I’ve got miles to go before I find warmer climes, so I got to get on my way. I made it as far as the old school house next door. 200 feet. (Hey, it is a start.) I heard plenty of rodent activity in the foundation, so I expect to find my next meal soon.

Turning left. I'm South Bound.

No comments: