Saturday, January 16, 2010

Cat Overboard

One moment, I’m King of the World, standing on the bow of the MV Cape May and the next moment two hoodlums are chasing me around the deck. Hey, animals are allowed onboard. I wasn’t trying to sneak into the dining areas, which are off limits to pets. The thought crossed my mind, but considering I get slightly sea-sick, I passed on any attempts to sneak into the galley to fill up my belly.

I was a stowaway, but where was I going to get $7.50 to make the voyage from Cape May, NJ to Lewes, Delaware? I hid out behind the rear tire of a late model SUV. I positioned myself after the security guys gave a once “under” the carriage of the vehicle with a mirror on a long pole. I didn’t realize they were trying to keep cats off the ferries.

Once onboard, I went out on the deck to blow the exhaust fumes off me. That’s how I found myself imitating Leonardo on the Titanic. Woo-hoo! I wasn’t expecting to get harassed. The crossing was calm and although the temperatures were reaching an almost balmy 50 degrees, most of the humans hunkered down in the comfy lounges to enjoy a tasty beverage. I should be so lucky.

We were nearing the terminal on the Delaware side when these punk crew members attacked. Like I was stealing fresh air or something. They menacingly called, “Here kitty, kitty.” The younger one of the two, had that evil look in his eye and I knew he meant harm. A real Tyler Hayes Weinman, the punk charged as a cat killer in Florida last summer.

Options were limited. I jumped, clawing at the ropes slung over the side of the ship. I managed to get my claws into the thick twine. I hung on tight but the asshole began flipping the rope until his partner in crime called him off. Fortunately, a few more compassionate shipmates were struck by the horror that this little tabby cat clung to the side of the ship.

Disaster averted, I watched the bow cut through the waters, not far below were I was precariously perched. Salt spray drenched my coat. I closed my eyes and hung on. I felt the ship slow. Maybe I'll make it.

As the MV Cape May slipped into its terminal dock, I took a flying leap for the nearest pylon. Damn thing was covered with seagull crap and I vowed I would eat one before the end of the day.

Back on land this late afternoon. So this is Delaware, state motto: Liberty and Independence. It might be too much for one cat to handle. In the back of my mind, I keeping thinking about crossing the Pacific to Hawaii.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GO SCOTT BROWN!!